Research Topics and Speculation about Art and Public Space by Scottish artist Matt Baker

Monday 7 January 2013

I'm Looking for an Assistant....

I am looking for someone who has a range of practical skills, confidence, enthusiasm, is a good communicator and a fast learner.
I have a diverse range of socially-engaged public art projects committed for 2013 – in the past I have always worked with assistants on individual projects, I’m now looking for someone to support the entire spread of my practice. The opportunity will suit someone who is serious about building a professional career in the arts – particularly in sculpture and/or socially-engaged practice.

Reconvening Govan Parliament (left), Govan Waymarkers (right)
I am proposing an initial period of 6 months at a rate of £1000 per month (11 days per month approximating to 2-3 days per week). This will be on a self-employed basis and you will be responsible for your own tax etc.
Erratic - mobile sculpture in remote landscape SouthWest Scotland
 
Skills that will be useful in the role (I not expecting anyone to be experienced in all of these!):

·       good communication skills – face to face, phone, email, social-media etc 

·       practical making skills

·       diary keeping and project administration

·       project monitoring and working as part of different project teams

·       presentation and workshop facilitation

·       social media and administrating project blogs

·       ability to work independently in word processing, spreadsheets, email, internet  
  research etc – (I use Apple with Microsoft Office)

·       driving Licence

·       graphic design (digital and physical)

·       passion for the arts

·       interest in places, history, processes of change, identity and people

My studio is 6 miles north of Dumfries, I am committed to quality and growth of the arts scene in SouthWest Scotland and will give preference to candidates who are/will be based in the area.

Philosophers Salon - Inverness (left), Scene Shifter - detail (right)

 Further information on my practice can be found at:
·       www.mattbaker.org.uk(past projects….currently being updated)

·       http://sacrificialmaterials.blogspot.co.uk/ (my blog – also has links to other projects I am involved in)

Application process

·       LETTER– explaining: why are interested in the opportunity, what relevant experience you have and what you believe you could contribute.

·       EXAMPLES of relevant experience…. could include images of your own artwork, links/descriptions of projects you have worked on etc

·       CV

All material to be submitted electronically (documents in PDF or Word format, images as jpegs or PDF) – total file size of submissions should be maximum 6MB

Sent to studio@mattbaker.org.uk by 1st February 2013…interviews will be held after that and I am looking for someone to start work by mid/end February.
Three Virtues (left), Re-Imagining the Centre (projection by Dan Norton - right) - both Inverness


I look forward to hearing from you

All best wishes

Matt